It was an act of terrorism that shook New Zealanders and people worldwide. Last Friday, two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand was attacked, with 49 people killed. The attacker, identified as 28-year-old Brenton Harrison Tarrant, was brought into court and charged. In addition to that, three other people were arrested in connection with the attack.
In a Christchurch courtroom hearing closed to the public for security reasons, police officers in bulletproof vests brought in the suspect, Brenton Harrison Tarrant. The police said he had been charged with one count of murder but would face additional charges. Mr. Tarrant, 28, short with thinning brown hair, handcuffed and wearing white prison clothing, looked around the courtroom but said nothing as District Court Judge Paul Kellar ordered him held for a further hearing on April 5.Source: The New York Times
The terrorist streamed live video of the attacks on Facebook, and social media companies have urged the public not to circulate the video as it can be used to spread terror. Meanwhile, social media companies scrambled to remove the video from its platform.
The company said it is also removing all edited versions of the video that do not show graphic content out of respect for the people affected by the mosque shooting and the concerns of local authorities.Source: NBC News
Following the attack, Stuff reported that New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Arden said that the government would help those who had been left without income as most of the victims were the breadwinners for the family and assuring the safety of the Muslim community there.
She assured them there would be police protection and there would be extra ACC staff to provide help and support for the families, which would cover funeral costs.Source: Stuff
The terrorist attack last Friday took the lives of 49 victims; 41 were killed in Masjid Al Noor and 7 from Linwood Masjid mosque. Among the victims were a four-year-old child who came from a family of Somali refugees, a 71-year-old grandfather who greeted the approaching terrorist with “Hello, brother,” and a goalkeeper of New Zealand’s national men’s futsal team. The dead, injured or missing hailed from across the Middle East and South Asia, including Pakistan, Indonesia, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, and Malaysia.
Seventy-one-year-old Haji-Daoud Nabi died as he tried to save the lives of fellow worshippers at Al Noor mosque. Nabi came to New Zealand from Afghanistan in 1977 and was a beloved community leader. His son, Yama al-Nabi, was running late for a meeting with his father at the mosque, and escaped the shooting by minutes.Source: The Guardian
Many have come forth with their condolences.
Subscribe for more updates on this story and follow us on Facebook.